Login |  Register

Welcome
Welcome to niransviewer

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Trouble with graphical settings (No Basic Shaders)
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:03 am 
Hello,

First off, I have to say this is an amazing viewer. I stumbled across it today and it fixed almost if not every issue I had on all other viewers. Mostly dealing with mouselook clipping issues.

I seem to be running into a bug with the graphical settings. No matter how I adjust the settings, I don't appear to even have basic shaders enable. The main visual affect I see from this is that no meshs have any "shininess" to them when I adjust the textures. I've confirmed that the basic shaders work on my system for other viewers.

I'll keep poking around the settings to see if I can find a solution, but I figured I would post here to see if anyone else has come across this same issue.

Report this post
Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: Trouble with graphical settings (No Basic Shaders)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:56 am 
After some digging, I believe I have found the culprit.

Turns out it was enabled all along. The problem was the more advanced shadows/shaders that were enabled. Once I started disabling a few things started appearing more as they were supposed to.

This is just my wild guess. But I'm assuming that since I was in an enclosed area, and I don't believe there were any "true" light sources, so when I would adjust a mesh's shininess, it just appear as dull as ever.

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:08 am 
Site Admin
Given that Deferred Rendering is enabled and actually working (you can test that by enabling shadows and checking if there are shadows, or enabling SSAO and seeing if corners are darkened), the "problem" you are/were experiencing comes from the fact that shininess works differently in this Viewer.

Long ago when Deferred was not yet "official" (although you could call it official since it was literally in for years when they changed it) shiny looked different, shiny was actually just that, a shiny/glossiness effect, but for some reason someone at Linden Labs thought that it was confusing that their content which utilized shiny looked different when Deferred Rendering was enabled, this was due to shiny in Deferred missing the Environment Map, the envi map is used to give a fake static reflection of the environment, most games do this but in Second Life the environment just looks utterly crap and is beyond basic, its basically just a two color gradient, if applied it makes shiny look like a super chromatic metal, almost eliminating the actual "shine" and rather making it partly ignore all kinds of other effects too. When LL changed Deferred shiny to use the environment map (just like pre-Deferred did) they broke all my content and made all shiny look just as ugly as it was without Deferred, when that happened i decided to revert this change and keep the original shiny instead. The original shiny only works if there is at least some sort of light nearby, either a light, the sun or a projector, otherwise you won't notice it since there is no actual like to bounce off of it. This might look confusing when indoors because it seems like all your shiny objects are not actually shiny but don't worry, they are and better than ever.

However, this change has one massive drawback. Removing the environment map also means that it is gone for materials too, so even if you set the environment slider (in texture tab, next to the specular map selection) all the way to the max, you won't be able to see the fake environment map, this might have a tiny impact on how things that are actually meant to use the environment map look like as they wont look as the creator intended them to be, however, in 99% of all cases, they will look better than what the creator intended.

Here are some examples:

This is how a friend saw my eyes on (presumably) Firestorm.
This is how i see them

This is the Jira i made long ago for the environment map change:
Second Life Jira - VWR-27933

You can see comparison pictures there and why the change was bad. LL did nothing however.

My Black Dragon introduction video was even advertised with the "original" shiny.

As you can see this was its intended look when i build it.
Whereas THIS is what it looks like on any other Viewer currently.

HERES another example of their OWN creation in my Viewer.
And the comparison of how it looks in my Viewer with still in place.

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:57 am 
Thanks for the explanation.

Yeah, I felt pretty silly when I was tinkering around trying to figure out what exactly was going on. Then I stepped outside and all of a sudden the reflections started to appear like you showcased.

I'll definitely be experimenting around with more of the settings.

Report this post
Profile  Offline