Login |  Register

Welcome
Welcome to niransviewer

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Nirans ported Guide for Nirans Viewer
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:40 pm 
Site Admin
Sticky!
Last Updated: 25. Dec. , 2011
refreshes 4.9,4.8.1,6.5,6.3 and deleted 5.1 also killed all links (broken)
this Guide is based on Windows 7 64x , folders may change a bit on XP or 32x OS

remember this Guide is based on my Experience of what i´ve seen , this is not a 100% Ultra Perfect Guide! its possible that some of you don´t get ANYTHING of it so don´t blame me for that, you have to remember that SL is a Beast it can work extremly different on every System! , just change the Resolution and SL could act completly different....

1. Getting Started
1.1 Installing

2. Performance
2.1 Niran´s Tweaks and Explanations

3. Deferred and Shadows
3.1 Lighting Settings
3.2 Shadow Options
3.3 SSAO (Screen Space Ambient Occlusion)

4. Known Bugs
4.1 Can´t Login
4.2 No Shadows
4.2.1 Black Screen with Shadows
4.2.2 Dissapearing HUD/UI with Shadows + AA
4.3 Antialiasing doesnt work
4.4 Inventory rename resets
4.4.1 Broken Outfit Links
4.5 Crashes often
4.5.1 One or More CPU´s always on 100%
4.6 Shaders sometimes run slowly
4.7 Help no Prims are rendered!
4.8 I can´t hear Sound
4.8.1 Can´t see my own Chat
4.9 Textures don´t load (fully)

5. Tweaks
5.1 last Loading Part takes ages
5.2 Smooth Camera and Gamepad flycam
5.3 Custom Camera Presets

6. FAQ
6.1 Viewer Tag
6.2 Radar
6.3 Temporary Texture Upload
6.4 RLV
6.5 Always Fly Feature

Getting Started
1.1 Installing
---in construction---

2. Performance
2.1 Niran´s Tweaks and Explanations
You are wondering why i had a Stoneage PC with a GTX 260 (old manufactured version with 192 Stream Processors, now i have a GTX460) 4 GB RAM (1033mhz) and a sucking AMD Phenom II 965 X4 (3800mhz) and getting more FPS than your Hyper PC with 2x GTX 480 , 8 GB RAM and a Intel i7 shoot me dead....heres why!
First! SL DOESN´T Support SLI or MultiGPU´s in ANY way , theres NO Benefit (execpt the loose of some FPS or maybe MANY FPS hehe), go buy a faster Single GPU rather than a slower MultiGPU, you will be dissapointed , trust me....i testet it with a friend...
Second! Your Settings!, i´ve deactivated and activated some settings and watched the FPS change, and here are some really important features...
Occlusion (not Ambient Occlusion) - it prevents Objects to be rendered behind other Objects like "what i dont see doesnt exist" which should give some extra FPS BUT , it doesnt it slows down your avg FPS (about 1-5+ depending on your system and Shaders activated), so deactivate it! - If you´re running on non Deferred (Shadow) Mode , activate it, it can boost your FPS a bit!
VBO (Vertex Buffer Objects) - This Option boosts your FPS if you trust the Hovertext , pah , VBO is mainly designt for NVidea, nearly all newer Video Cards get a noticable FPS boost when activating it - ATI users should generally deactivate this Feature, it causes Slowdowns (but test yourself maybe you are lucky)
Full Res Textures - Some of you think oh cool let Textures load at Full Resolution, haha nothing, it does eh nothing atm , just scrambling your FPS extremly on random places at random camera angles and random objects/avatars , keep it off its to your BEST!
Hardware Skinning and Avatar Clothes - they are both useless, Deferred and GI doesnt need Hardware Skinning anymore to run, and Avatar Clothes doesnt work since ages in Kirsten , deactivate them Both it could give you 1-2 FPS more!
Shadow Quality/Resolution - this Option changes the Resolution of Shadows , standart Value is 1.0 , let it there , everything over 1.0 CAN cause FPS drop (up to 2 it shouldnt be that much) , just push it a bit up on Snapshots (try yourself how far you can go without crambling Shadows)
Ultra Setting (equal to something like 2-3)
High Setting (equal to normal 1)
Medium Setting (equal to 0.75)
Very Low Setting (equal to 0.25)
see the extreme differences? especially on distance? and with fine objects like this tree?
Render Range/View Distance - this Option can be a total PC killer in combination with many Avatars or Animate Trees, dont set the Distance too high, remember you can set NearMeRange higher and watch people on Minimap or Sidepanel , you DON´T need to see them! IM works without seeing them.... it can only boost your FPS keep it at ~64m , push it up for Snapshots
Animate Trees - this is an Performance eater in all cases , acivate this Option if you want Trees moving in the Wind but be warned setting Tree Volume LOD to higher Values causes Trees to appear in Full Volume with Animated Trees which crush´s down your FPS, but to get more Performance you can try activating it and set Tree Volume LOD very very low that only Trees very near to you appear in Full Volume
Full Gamma/Hardcoded 2 Gamma - this Option switches between the deeply hardcoded Gamma of 2 (Value) when activating Full Bright or just a special Full Bright Shader which is easier to control, you should generally deactivate this feature on Deferred and Global Illumination but activate it on Normal Shaders (Warning this can be Vise Versa depending on some systems/configurations or SIMs, just try what is better for your avg FPS)
Render Prims using Triangle Strip - Since Build 34 this Option should work again and i would activate it if i where you!, it seems to give some FPS more especially when some Avatars in Range, if it renders your Prims invisible disable it , see Known Bugs Section for more Info about that
For all who want to see all my Option in a rush , here are all my graphic/preferences in some pictures:

3. Deferred and Shadows
3.1 Lighting Settings
Some of you noticed that im streaming Second Life with Kirsten S20 sometimes, and many Emerald or Standart Viewer Users were very surprised how colorfull Shadows/Deferred looks on my Viewer , i´ll show you why! , i modified my Lighting Settings many times and found a very good Lighting configuration which looks pretty good for Deferred only, (needs additional Global Illumination Tweaks and a Sky Preset to look good in Global Illumination) go to your Settings -> Graphics -> Advanced -> Lighting and set the Glow Options as follow:
Strength: 2.0
Min. Luminance: 0.0
Glow Warmth: 0.0
Glow Width: 1.6
Glow MaxAlpha: 0.041 (you can set it to 0.036 up to 0.050 if you want it brighter or darker)

3.2 Shadow Options
You wonder how to make extreme cool Snapshots with Soft Shadows like in Crysis? or do you preffer to have no Shadow Softening because of Performance Problems? those are examples of good Shadow Softening effects:
but how to get those set those Options? its Simple! trust me, go to your Settings -> Graphics -> Advanced -> Shadows and voila there are 3 Options , first thing you should do is setting Shadow Samples down to 1, it makes no difference , even if it would make a difference it would give Performance , less Samples = less times Shadow Softening is used, then set Shadow Blur size to 1.1 for Sharp Shadows as in the first screen, or set it to 1.6 as in the second , i prefer setting it to 1.6 because it makes a better difference and looks better, now to Blur on Distance, wether you can set it to 0.0 which means Shadows get more soften on distance , or set it to 0.1~0.5 which means it will be less/or completly not softened over distance (which can actually give you 1-2 FPS)

3.3 SSAO (Screen Space Ambient Occlusion)
Some of you wonder what SSAO is , actually its a pretty cool Deferred Feature which is responsible for Subtile Lighting effects , like a corner darkening effect, which is used by newer games too , correctly set it can look pretty awesome in many scenes and does a difference between same colored prims! heres an example:
you can find the Options in your Settings -> Graphics and activate Ambient Occlusion now go to -> Graphics -> Advanced -> Shadows and set SSAO Values as follow:
SSAO Scale: 1000
SSAO Max Scale: 100-400 (depends on how strong you want the effect)
SSAO Factor: 1.00
now it should look similar to the Picture

4. Known Bugs
4.1 Can`t Login
This Problem can be caused by many things, things which are easy to fix, and maybe things where we have no might to change that
you have to type your first and last name in one field and your password (case sensitive) in the next...
Example: (old)
|NiranV | Dean | myPassword|
Example: (new)
|NiranV Dean | myPassword|
some Login Issues are fixed here , now for the next one, click on the Cheatsheet at the Top of the screen and search for Grid Selection, and press the Key Combination for it to activate. Click the newly appearing Dropdown Box and select Aditi (Test Server) and then select Agni (Second Life Main Grid) again , this should fix some Login Issues like "This Account doesnt exist" or "This Name/Password combination doesnt exist". If that doesnt help, try a restart of your PC or Nirans Viewer, or try login with another Account or on another Viewer and check if its not your Account that has been busted - AntiVir Programs can cause Login Problems too , aswell as IP Block Programs like PeerBlock,PeerGuardian etc, disable them or add Linden Labs as allowed to the lists

4.2 No Shadows
There are several things you can try to fix this, first deactivate every Shader, then activate them in the following Order: Bumpmapping,Vertex Shader (Basic Shaders), Athmospheric Shaders, Lighting + Shadows (Deferred Renderer) , Ambient Occlusion and then set the Shadow Options to All Shadows / Full Shadows and normally they should appear, if not you probably have a ATI Card.... or even worse a Class 1 or Class 2 Card under GForce 8000 Series (see viewtopic.php?f=7&t=557), make sure you have a NVidea 8000 Series as minimum! If that doesnt help try a restart of Kirsten , clear Cache and Settings and re activate everthing. Also updating the Video Card Drivers can fix some problems too and give some FPS - but be warned not everything new is better!
Niran recomments: Buying a new Video Card you want, GTX 260 i recomment for your hand!

4.2.1 Black Screen with Shadows
Someone got a problem with Screen going Black when activating Shadows, there are some things you can try if this happens to you too, deactivate shadows and activate them again, try a relogg, press OK or Apply or make sure RenderDeferredAthmosperic is on (CTRL + ALT + D for Advanced Menu -> Show Debug Settings), Antialiasing causes Black Screen too when set too high, AA works for me in Shadows only up to 2x, try disabling AA if all above doesnt help and if you activated it

4.2.2 Dissapearing HUD/UI with Shadows + AA
If you encounter Problems with vanishing HUD Attachments or UI like Name Tags etc , disable Non Deferred Alpha Masks and Deferred Alpha Masks (Textures Tab), do a relogg and if nothing helps simply deactivate AA and live without it...

4.3 Antialiasing doesnt work
---under construction---

4.4 Inventory rename resets (must be checked)
Many people fell over this "Bug" , the new Inventory System actually wants YOU to Accept your desired name , means you have to press Enter after you typed in the Name, we all hope this will be changed to the old System

4.4.1 Broken Outfit Links
Im a bit annoyed by people saying that they have "broken" Links in their inventory and its a Bug...sorry....but yea its really annoying... Link that explains all , its a LINK to the Original Object like a Windows Desktop Shortcut , move/delete/rename or change the Original file in any way that the Path isnt correct anymore and you´ll get a broken "Shortcut" the same thing with Links, delete the Link and make a new one / a new Outfit - OR you could try to copy the object at the same place as before BUT be warned it has to be on the EXACT same place as before means if its in a folder with 3 objects and the shortcut knows it was on the 2. place and you copy it in there it will be on the 1. place .....means the Shortcut will be broken ANYWAY

4.5 Crashes often
---under construction---

4.5.1 One or More CPU´s always on 100%
Some People are reporting that they got Problems with their CPU´s they´re always on 100% , sometimes only one CPU sometimes more , 95% of those People can fix this Problem by going to the NVidea Control System , go to the Application Settings , add Second Life Viewer as seperate Profile and disable Threaded Optimization in the Listings , save and do a relogg, its well known that Second Life has extreme Problems with this Feature , always keep it disabled for Second Life!

4.6 Shaders sometimes run slowly (must be checked)
---under construction---

4.7 Help no Prims are rendered (must be checked)
---under construction---

4.8 I can´t hear Sound
You are probably new to 2.0 or Nirans Viewer , and this Sound bug is very known to 2.0 , to fix it , go to your Settings -> General and set your Preferred Maturity to Adult , if you want to be on the save side , do a relog, you should hear sounds of gestures etc again

4.8.1 Can´t see my own Chat
This is not directly a Bug , its probably just you , you´ve probably accidentally muted yourself , dont ask me how you did that but it can happen , check your Ignore/Mute list ,and your Sound/Voice settings in the Voice Controls at the Bottom Bar

4.9 Textures don´t load (fully)
Go to Preferences -> Advanced Graphics -> Textures Tab and disable Full Resolution Textures and Texture Auditing if on , additionally you can try changing your group or going up to 500-4000m and come down again , just click into your Navigationbar , press arrow right to get fast to the Z coordinate and change it to your likings , press enter and you should be instantly teleported up as long as the SIM has no SIM arrive point (which would disable direct teleport)

5. Tweaks

5.1 last Loading Part takes ages (must be checked)
---under construction---

5.2 Smooth Camera and Gamepad flycam
You want to know how i make such smooth rotations and that stuff with my Camera? it looks a bit like Free Flycam mh? i made a Snapshot to show my complete Camera Settings how you could set them to archive my Settings and get a smooth Camera movement, aswell as my Free Flycam Settings... wait Free Flycam? this Spacenavigator thingy..... but wait you got no Spacenavigator? ahh no problem , i dont have one too, but i configured my USB PS2/Xbox Gamepad as follow to archive maxmimum usebility and a very smooth camera movement aswell as all important commandos, you can actually fly forward,backward,to left and to right.... with your left analog stick, and rotate the camera to left and right , pan up and down and even fly inverted , rotating your camera to make barrel rolls is not possible directly because i have only 2 sticks and everything other can´t be used, but with my settings you do light rolls when you rotate your camera to left and right , in combination with moving to left and right it can make some cool effects, zoom is not possible too but isnt really needed.... but ok enough information , heres my Configuration and a Video to show it looks in SL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G1uKoYGTbA

5.3 Disabling TP/Login Progress Bar Screen
---under construction---

5.4 Custom Camera Presets
see this Tutorial Video of Torley or check the Custom Camera Tutorial in Preferences - Advanced
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY1BzcBB ... _embedded#!

6. FAQ
6.1 Viewer Tag
Can someone actually see that you´re using Nirans Viewer? - No! they´ll see Viewer 2/3

6.2 Radar
Has Nirans a Radar? - Yes! open the People Panel (2 little guys icon) and go to Nearby Tab

6.3 Temporary Texture Upload
There is no temp-upload feature , instead something way better for both you and LL , the Local Bitmap Browser , you can find it by going into NV (Main Menu) -> Tools -> Local Bitmap Browser

6.4 RLV
Yes RLV has been successfully implemented and will from now on held on a recent version

6.5 Always Fly Feature
Go to NV (Main Menu) -> Develop -> Show Admin Menu , you might have to enable the Admin Menu by going to Preferences -> Viewer -> UI Settings and checking Show Admin Options first

This Guide will be updated part by part and more stuff is coming!
Hope this Guide is(will be) Helpfull , Enjoy

Report this post
Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: Nirans ported Guide for Nirans Viewer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:05 am 
hello,

Regarding 4.9 texture loading, a very usefull and efficient tip is to change your group for few seconds (and come back if you want). It usually complete textures loading. I have checked that many times. It works.

I have also heard the HTTP Get Textures option sux. I never see any differences when checking it.

Hope this helps. Thx for ur work.

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:13 am 
Site Admin
thats simple why , UDP was slow , LL brought HTTP , it was fast cuz no one had it , now its default & everyone has it , now its slow too and UDP fast again because its rarely used

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:55 pm 
You really need to update the whole guides tweaks section, since i cant find all the settings in the actual viewer, or even get it to look like your shots and that new video.

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:58 pm 
Site Admin
yea sorry for that , there has been changed a lot of stuff >.> and **** is still extremly changing

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:11 pm 
Well, maybe you should consider including a Import/Export function for the Settings, makes it easier to re-import your setting after a reinstallation and sharing them.

I would be all for it <3

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:31 pm 
Site Admin
no need for that atlast not for that reason , my Viewer already uses my settings as default , so everyone using my Viewer will automatically have my settings as i tweaked them over years

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:09 am 
Greetings all.. Just plowing through the entire tutorial. You see, I am NEW to Nirans. Just wish there was a simplified Tutorial for the viewer. I am a photographer and can see the benefit of the viewer... but it is going to take some time to get to grips with it!... You all have a great day!

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:24 am 
Quote:
Hardware Skinning and Avatar Clothes - they are both useless, Deferred and GI doesnt need Hardware Skinning anymore to run, and Avatar Clothes doesnt work since ages in Kirsten , deactivate them Both it could give you 1-2 FPS more!

Hi!.. ;)

I found that if hardware skinning is deactivated, i see mesh avatars' skins fuzzy or directly black.

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:48 am 
Site Admin
I hope you do realize that this Guide was written 3 years ago and actually was a guide for Kirstens Viewer and Nirans Viewer created shortly after?

Report this post
Profile  Offline