Login |  Register

Welcome
Welcome to niransviewer

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: High Res Snapshot
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:10 am 
Wondering why it was removed in 1.48

Under its change list:
"removed high res snapshot menu entry"

So I am on the current version and don't really use high res snapshot all that often but when I needed it today could not find it. Anyway would love to have this feature back.

Sidenote:

Oddly though found that the words "HighResSnapshot" could be found in every language directory except the English one. For example:

Line 171 "<menu_item_check label="Foto en Alta Resolución" name="HighResSnapshot"/>" was found in C:\Program Files (x86)\Nirans Viewer\skins\default\xui\es\menu_viewer.xml

Odd stuff.

Report this post
Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: High Res Snapshot
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:25 am 
Site Admin
thats because i dont update those other languages that often.

Sidenote:
the feature will not come back because its useless and has no function. High Res Snapshots are Snapshots beyond your current window resolution , to do one , make sure you unticked Interface and HUDs and then select save to disk , type in a resolution (double as much as example) and the other value should automatically calculate up aswell , now refresh the picture (if you dont crash) and then save it. Be happy with seamlines in deferred! hope for them beeing fixed in next update when i merged the fix that has been long awaited since years.

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:20 am 
Niran wrote:
thats because i dont update those other languages that often.

Sidenote:
the feature will not come back because its useless and has no function. High Res Snapshots are Snapshots beyond your current window resolution , to do one , make sure you unticked Interface and HUDs and then select save to disk , type in a resolution (double as much as example) and the other value should automatically calculate up aswell , now refresh the picture (if you dont crash) and then save it. Be happy with seamlines in deferred! hope for them beeing fixed in next update when i merged the fix that has been long awaited since years.

I understand what the feature was for, and that it took higher resolution pictures then what your screen could most likely produce (if you had it in maximized mode that is). Now I understand that there are ways to still get the high res snapshot through the way you described... but it was really helpful in my view to be able to just CTRL+` and get a high res picture. Now why do I need something that high? Well I like to take shots of things that are only around for a brief instant (ie: friend is doing something odd, weird glitch, ao's on multiple friends avatars syncing up for a cool picture) that I do not have the full time to set up how close the camera is to the "scene" I want to capture. Having something like a CTRL+` hotkey allows me to get the shot and crop it in Photoshop later without it looking like pixel hell. Pretty much what I do with my Canon t3i camera in RL. Do I need 18MP in a camera for most shots? Not really, but the advantage to having something so high res, that can capture a moment in a button press is great. For example someone (or something) is doing something weird across a park and I don't have time to whip out a telephoto lens. I can snap off a photo and get back home and crop it to just what I want, with a still respectable 2048x1536 resolution.

I asked this is group chat a few days ago when you were not online, someone came up with ta different solution.
Transcript:
[2012/12/01 17:26] Kuromi Bunnyboi (shadowfamicom.watanabe): Yo, how does one turn on high res snapshot. Also found in nirans months ago a debug option that let you put a multiplier to the res of the snapshot (for instance 1920x1200 would become 5760x3600 when a value of 3 was entered) anyway cannot remember where that was.
[2012/12/01 17:26] Kuromi Bunnyboi (shadowfamicom.watanabe): what the name of the debug option was*
[2012/12/01 17:28] Mei (mei.avril): the way I do it is NV menu -> advanced -> set window size, then I adjust the angle for my shot, take the shot, and redownsize the rez
[2012/12/01 17:28] Mei (mei.avril): res*
[2012/12/01 17:29] Kuromi Bunnyboi (shadowfamicom.watanabe): hmm odd stuff, I know its in there as I took some wonderful shots, its got some weird non-default name in the debug settings. Thanks for the info though :)
[2012/12/01 17:30] Mei (mei.avril): Best I can tell you, I'm very interested in the info though, hit me up if you do find out :)
[2012/12/01 17:30] Kuromi Bunnyboi (shadowfamicom.watanabe): will do ^_^

------------------------

As a viewer that is know for its great graphical capabilities especially for Machinima, I think this would be a worthwhile feature to leave in, even with its flaws. Maybe a popup appears when you check up the option for high res snapshot, saying just what you said about seams. And I am sure there are others who would like the return of it as well. Anyway thanks for taking the time to reply :)

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:44 pm 
Site Admin
the Render Resolution Multiplier is a removed feature that was created by Exodus to fix the tiling issue on high res snapshots in Deferred. As i said , its removed because Geenz probably thinks himself that it was total crap or didnt work as intended. Also doing this "combination" you describe never did an high resolution snapshot itself , "High Res Snapshot" was a menu entry you could tick to double the resolution of your window resolution on taking a snapshot , this feature however is broken since V2 and therefor has been removed.

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:52 pm 
I'd like to chime in.. I am trying Niran's Viewer again (mainly cause it implemented the grid line fix) and am learning to like it again

I would ask that even if the option for high res snap shot isn't avaiable as a menu tick, would be nice if the debug setting was left in so a user can activate it. I am sure there are also sorts of valid technical reasons why it is needed/used, but sure makes life easier, like, for instance, shooting a wedding, or well, shooting anything, really.

When in ultra graphics, of course things can be lagged down hard core. so using the 'custom' screen size means a) another pop up window open b) hit refresh for each shot, then save. and of course, if the snapshot window is closed, it does not re-open back to the 'save to disk' tab, so more clicks to get back to that as well

thank you

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:08 pm 
Site Admin
The High Res Snapshot option will not come back, it serves not purpose anymore and its functionality is 100% broken, you can just select "Save to Disk" and select "Custom Resolution" on the dropdown then use the spinners to set it to 4000 in width (which is the ~max of the tiling fix) and press refresh or the shortcut for snapshot again, when the Snapshot has been taken you can click save to save it to disk AND you can also upload or send the exact same picture to your profile/albums, it will send you back to the main snapshot menu, keeping your snapshot active, all you have to do is click "Upload to my Profile" or "Send via E-mail" and type in your information/place/whatever and then hit upload/send, this will result in the exact same snapshot you used for saving on your disk to be uploaded to your profile or send via E-mail aswell. Custom screen size is in no way an additional window, its right in the snapshot floater itself.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-A-l4g7FWqSA/UTZDKa1OqgI/AAAAAAAAH48/I1MSLH1So3Q/s1920/Snapshot_1134.png

Report this post
Profile  Offline