Login |  Register

Welcome
Welcome to niransviewer

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Pixelated shadows
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:19 am 
So, I've had this problem on FS but it is fixed when I enable Ambient Occlusion. But with BD no matter what settings I change I can't fix it.

Example:
http://i.imgur.com/ndgnrsz.png

Help? :?

Ah, if it helps:
GTX 760
Intel i5-3570

Report this post
Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: Pixelated shadows
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:30 pm 
ariari wrote:
So, I've had this problem on FS but it is fixed when I enable Ambient Occlusion. But with BD no matter what settings I change I can't fix it.

Example:
http://i.imgur.com/ndgnrsz.png

Help? :?

Ah, if it helps:
GTX 760
Intel i5-3570

only way to clean it up a bit is to change the shadow extended distance to about 96 or whatever it's called and increasing the shadow resolutions a bit. as far as I can tell, it's camera based.

Report this post
Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: Pixelated shadows
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:03 am 
Site Admin
This is a really huge can of worms you're opening right there.

Shadows and their precision have always been a huge problem in Second Life for a bunch of reasons.

Shadows are rendered as far as your shadow render distance is set, this distance is then split into 4 parts, these 4 parts are as you may have noticed separate resolution sliders, each for one of the 4 parts of the entire field shadows cover. This essentially means: the higher your shadow distance the more space one shadow map has to cover, the more "stretched" it is and the less accurate it visually is. Having a low resolution but a high distance makes shadows appear extremely pixelated. This plus the fact that shadows in my Viewer are rendered much more accurately by themselves and generally have less extreme blur as compared to the Linden Viewer, this problem becomes even more visible.

When i separated the shadow distance from the draw distance and the shadow resolution from the screen resolution i had getting this problem under better control.

You can increase the necessary shadow map's resolution without hurting your performance noticably as long as you don't set it higher than 4k and as long as it's only one shadow map, the one that is most important for you, in this case it would be the closest one i assume. Note that with changing the distance, the effective areas of each map also change. With low distance (64) the closest shadow map does not control the shadows on your avatar unless you zoom close on it, in this case the close one will most likely be the one you'll have to change.

Personally i would recommend you setting the shadow distance to 64 unless you need it higher for a picture, in case you want whole SIM shots i recommend 400 because 400 seems to hit a sweet spot where the 2k shadow resolution seems pretty nice, unless you zoom really close. 2k shadow resolution should be fine unless again you are zooming close and are working with very fine detail, in that case i would recommend 4k but again not for every day usage although that's up to you.

Report this post
Profile  Offline